Friday, December 3, 2010

A GLIMPSE INTO THE FUTURE ... SORT OF

I visited my father-in-law, Karl, at the nursing home today. His confusion and dementia continues, but at a lower, more subdued level. He is still the most pleasant, amiable and loving man he has always been.

Visiting a nursing home, whether you have someone there or not, is both a rewarding and humbling experience. There are always some people there that have no family, or friends or any visitors at all. They would love to have someone to talk to, to show an interest in them.

It is easy, actually common, to forget that these people, though old, confused and quite possibly not able to care for themselves, are people just like you and me. They all have an entire history of living, with the associated trials and tribulations, loves and hates, fears and joys. We should look at these wonderful people with the respect they deserve. Each has a story to tell, with no one to share. Be that person.

I say this with a specific purpose in mind; you might even call it selfish. It's quite possible that someday I'll be that person in the nursing home. Don't look at me as weird or stranger, or see me as a non-person; someone that had no past, and is now an empty shell of a man.

Remember, I was once where you are now, and someday you just might be where I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment