Thursday, December 9, 2010

I remember years ago watching a real good friend walking across the factory floor after being fired. He was in his early 70's, and I had hired him as the plant nurse. He had begun his career as an RN as a second career, and he was real good at his job. I chose him over the typical nurse-type woman because of his vast experience, along with his credentials as a nurse.

As I watched I knew this wold be his final job, and it broke my heart. I purposfully watched as he appeared to became smaller and smaller, until he turned the corner after walking nearly 100 years, and disappeared from sight. I am now him, and the world is me. I am slowly disappeaing into an unknown realm where there is no there is no staying out, nor getting out.

Will this transition take place so slowly that I won't even notice? Will I be aware as life as I know it is slowly slipping away? How will it happen, and how long will it take? Which will go first; my speech, my memory, my comprehension, my social skills?

Only God knows, and he likes to keep these things to himself. Thankfully.

No comments:

Post a Comment