Tuesday, November 23, 2010

DON'T PLACE YOUR DAISY MY OUTHOUSE (all it does is make the flower stink)

I purchased a new package of Mr. Coffee filters today; they come two to a pack. This is the kind that clamps onto the top of the filter basket to "pre-filter" the water. This might not be a big deal to you and, to be truthful, it isn't to me, either. And this isn't the point of my story.


I opened the package, removed one of the filters and placed it in place. Simple. Job done. Easy enough. I then closed up the package and started to put it in the drawer, when I realized there wasn't one left in the package, but two. I must have been mistaken, and had purchased a three pack. Oh well, easy enough mistake to make.


When Connie got home she was pleased to see what I had done. A few minutes later she called me into the kitchen, asking why I had repackaged the used filter along with the extra new one I had just purchased. I had no answer; I didn't know that I had done it.


"Hey, don't worry. Everybody does that from time to time". When they tell me that I get so pissed. Don't trivialize my illness! Don't tell me it's no big deal! Even if you're traveling down that Dementia Highway, don't say you understand. You understand how your illness affects you, but you don't know how my illness affects me.


Now there's a big difference between misplacing something from time to time, and having to relocate the same item over and over again. There are times that I'll have to go from the garage to the house to get my keys, and lose then 2-3 times more before they finally make their way to the car. This gets old, and is very tiring emotionally and physically.

So, next time you want to tell me my illness is "no big deal", do me a huge favor: DON'T!

No comments:

Post a Comment