Tuesday, November 30, 2010

A VISIT WITH THE THERAPIST

Another visit with the therapist today. I've been seeing the same one for the past 5 1/2 years, and we really seem to "click". I can open up to her, and feel comfortable. She doesn't push, but waits for me to come around.

Therapy is not a short-term commitment, but takes a period of many meetings over many years to really be effective. I feel it is  necessity if you are mentally ill, and would be helpful even for seemingly "normal" individuals. It never hurts to open up to someone who won't judge, and sees you through professional eyes only.

For instance, today I told her about my babbling speech, momentary loss of speech and ever-increasing memory problems.

Babbling speech is something I have dealt with over the past 3-4 years ago. When in the pulpit, I would occasionally slur the last 2-3 words of a sentence together. People very seldom mentioned it to my face, but I'm sure it was the topic of after-church coffee talk.

Momentary loss of speech is an interesting phenomenon, and difficult to understand. I don't know the philosophical reasons be hind it; all I know is that it's just weird. Here's what happens to me: During the normal course of the day, I might take something from the house to Connie to illustrate a point. The other day, I was talking about a piece of cake, and called it a donut, then biscuit, then a cookie, until the word cake came to mind. I knew the names I was using were wrong, but out they came any way. At this point, we laugh when it happens. Someday, maybe not.

The memory problems go without saying, so I'll go without talking about them. Suffice it to say, they ain't getting  any better. More later. Ciao

No comments:

Post a Comment